At its Annual General Meeting in Markham, Ontario on September 13th, the Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS) announced its board members and executive committee appointments.
“The construction industry in Canada is booming right now and it’s an exciting time for CIQS,” said Dave Burns, who was named Chair at the meeting. “I’m honoured to be leading an organization whose two thousand-strong membership is helping to keep projects all across the country on track.”
The new board includes:
- Dave Burns, PQS, Chair: Dave is a Principal and co-founder of Aquarius Building Consultants, a full service quantity surveying consultancy firm based in Calgary, Alberta that specializes in private-sector development projects, addressing budgeting, feasibility, financing and advisory requirements for their clientele;
- Craig Bye, PQS, Vice Chair: Craig Bye is the Manager of Hanscomb’s Hamilton Office and a Senior Electrical Cost Consultant. He has over 30 years of experience as a licensed electrician, Quantity Surveyor and trade estimator and is highly regarded for expertise with specialized electrical systems such as Fire Alarm, Nurse Call, Security and IT;
- Mark Gardin, PQS(F), Past Chair: Mark is the Principal of QSolv Incorporated, a cost consulting firm in Halifax. He graduated in 1990 from the Nova Scotia Institute of Technology’s Construction Management program. He joined CIQS in 1996 and received his Professional Quantity Surveyor designation in 2003. In 2009, Mark became CIQS Maritimes President and Representative on the CIQS Board. He was nominated 2nd Vice President in 2011, and at the 2013 AGM in Montreal, he became the CIQS President;
- Matt Weber, PQS, CIQS—British Columbia Representative/CIQS Secretary/Treasurer: Matt is Vice President of the Concosts Group of Companies and is based in Vancouver, British Columbia. With the company since 2005, his work experience includes a mix of loan monitoring, cost planning, and project and construction management of residential and commercial projects. He holds diplomas in building technology and civil engineering from the British Columbia Institute of Technology and obtained his Professional Quantity Surveyor designation from CIQS in 2010;
- Michael Bernier, PQS, CIQS—Prairies and NWT Representative/ CIQS Registrar: As Director of Bernier Cost Management Ltd., Michael provides project monitoring, cost planning, value management, and arbitration services to a broad client base in Western Canada out of offices in Alberta and Saskatchewan. His projects range in size, nature, and complexity, with project values ranging from $1.5-million to $4.6-billion. He has been a regional CIQS Board member for over ten years and is President for CIQS—Prairies and Northwest Territories;
- David Lai, PQS(F), Education Administrator: David is Director of Building Services at the BTY Group in Toronto. With over 28 years of experience, his expertise includes providing electrical estimates and budgets from conceptual to pre-tender stages using architectural sketches and design briefs to finished engineering drawings and specifications, value engineering, life cycle costing and analysis of change orders and variations. David joined CIQS in 1986 and has served on boards and committees of the CIQS–Ontario since 1994, and as the national Education Administrator since 2008;
- Jacques Amelin, PQS, CIQS—Quebec Representative : Jacques has practiced as a Quantity Surveyor and Project Manager for 20 years, including roles as Branch Director at one of the largest quantity surveying firms in Canada and Program Manager for a school board in Toronto. Originally practicing in France, he is bilingual in French and English and holds an MA in Project Management and an MBA from Université de Montréal. This year, Jacques opened his own firm—FDP Quantity Surveyor and Project Management Inc.—and works on projects throughout Canada, France, and Morocco:
- Patrick Cantin, PQS, CIQS—Ontario Representative: Patrick is Director of Plant & Property as well as the Director of Health and Safety for the Conseil scolaire public du Nord Est de l’Ontario. As the sole proprietor of Cantin Construction Cost Consulting, he provides quantity surveyor services to professionals across Northern Ontario. He is a graduate of the Construction Engineering-Architecture Technology program at Niagara College and for the last 20 years, has helped build roads, bridges, hydroelectric dams, schools, condominiums, museums, and retail stores in Northern Ontario;
- David Dooks, PQS, CIQS—Maritimes Representative: David is an Estimator at Avondale Construction Limited in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In that role, he is a senior estimator bidding on public and private sector projects and provides concept construction budgets and cost planning to architects, engineers, owners and developers. An Honours Graduate from the Construction Administration Technology program at Nova Scotia Community College, he has over 25 years’ experience in the construction industry. He is President for CIQS—Maritimes;
- Roy Lewis, PQS(F), CIQS—Newfoundland and Labrador Representative: As the owner of Cambrian Management Services, Roy provides commercial support to the construction and energy sectors. Originally a product of the construction industry in the United Kingdom, he has been an active quantity surveyor in Canada since 1977 and currently resides in St. Mary’s Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador. He attained his Professional Quantity Surveyor designation from CIQS in 1993, and has sat on the Institute’s board for 18 years. He served as national CIQS President in 2011.
* (F) designates member has been made a Fellow, the Institute’s highest honour of merit