Canada’s largest green building consulting firm is putting its values to work by becoming a Gold pledging partner with Sustainable Waterloo’s Regional Carbon Initiative, promising to eliminate its carbon emissions within 10 years.
“We are honoured to be one of the first three companies in the region to publicly pledge to reduce our carbon emissions,” says Enermodal president Stephen Carpenter. “Given Waterloo’s superior technological resources, this region should be a global leader in sustainability.”
The Regional Carbon Initiative is a voluntary, target-setting program for organizations in Waterloo Region to reduce their carbon emissions within a standardized framework. There are three levels of pledging partners:
- Bronze: 20 per cent carbon emission reduction per full-time employee (Athena Software)
- Silver: 40 per cent carbon emission reduction per full-time employee
- Gold: 60-100 per cent carbon emission reduction (Enermodal Engineering and VeriForm Inc. have pledged to go completely carbon neutral)
Sustainable Waterloo is a non-profit that facilitates collaboration on sustainability issues between industry, local government, academia, and NGOs, with a focus on the high-tech sector.
Enermodal’s current head office, Green on the Grand, on Riverbend Dr. in Kitchener is the most energy efficient office in Canada (using about 125 kWh/m2) and was designed by Enermodal employees in 1996.
To encourage employees to live green lives at work and at home, Enermodal has many unique green incentives including
· $2,000 rebate for employees who purchase a hybrid vehicle
· $1,000 rebate for employees who put a wind turbine or solar system on their home
· Reimbursement for purchase of home energy efficiency improvement supplies (i.e., low-VOC paints, low-flow toilets)
· 50 per cent rebate on home energy audit
Enermodal’s new headquarters on 582 Lancaster St. is set to be complete this September. At this office, Enermodal will provide designated spots for hybrid/carpool vehicles, purchase green power, provide videoconferencing to reduce business travel, and install rooftop solar panels. Named A Grander View, Enermodal’s head office is predicted to be the most energy efficient office in Canada (75 kWh/m2) and is aimi
ng for LEED Platinum certification. Energy models show A Grander View using 10 per cent of the energy a traditional Canadian office. An open house for the new headquarters will be held on September 19 in conjunction with Open Doors Waterloo.