DIRTT Environmental Solutions has been named the inaugural winner of the CaGBC Green Building Product of the Year Award for their interior wall system, Enzo.
Product submissions were assessed based on four key areas: sustainability, transparency and verification, innovation, and application. The jury of experts from across Canada chose DIRTT’s Enzo line of prefabricated modular building interiors due to its ingenuity and application, particularly as a benefit to healthcare facilities. Healthcare facilities have unique design challenges due to the regular need for space adaptations; acoustical issues associated with privacy; infection control requirements; limited budgets and other factors. DIRTT developed the Enzo line to meet these design challenges, and have also managed to reduce the environmental impacts of the product.
The product is modular and flexible, reducing the burden and waste of regularly reconstructing healthcare interiors. Among its sustainability features, DIRTT completed a life-cycle assessment (LCA) for the product, created a global Product Category Rule (PCR) and had a third-party verified Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) completed. This information provides consumers with an extended degree of comfort that sustainable design claims are realistic and accurate.
Runners-up for the 2015 Green Building Product of the Year Award are:
- GlasCurtain Inc. for the creation of a fibreglass framing product for glass curtains that offers better energy performance than conventional aluminum framing, while increasing the lifespan of assemblies by reducing expansion and contraction; and
- MSL Fibre for its SONOclimat eco4, a rigid insulation panel that provides a continuous insulation sheathing layer for wood frame construction, made from 100% recycled wood fibres that are 100% recyclable at the end of its life.
The panel of judges for this year’s Product of the Year Award was:
- Kevin Henry, Senior Mechanical Engineer at HDR Architects
- Rodney Wilts, Partner, BuildGreen Solutions (A Windmill Developments Company)
- Sheila Brown, Sustainability Expert
- Max Richter, Senior Architect, Perkins+Will
- Ellyn Berg, Registered Interior Designer
- Mark Hutchinson, Director, Green Building Programs, CaGBC
As the winner of the Award, DIRTT Environmental Solutions has the right to use a CaGBC Product of the Year crest on its marketing materials and product website.