The award winners of the 2014 RESNET Cross Border Home Builder Challenge, which helps promote the utilization of the HERS (Home Energy Rating System) Index was announced by Steve Baden, executive director of RESNET, and John Godden, president of the Canadian counterpart CRESNET at the RESNET annual conference in Atlanta, GA.
“With well over 1 million homes rated in the US, the Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index is the industry standard by which a home’s energy efficiency is now being measured in the U.S. and Canada. It’s also the nationally recognized system for inspecting and calculating a home’s energy performance” noted Baden.
“The Index is based on an assessment by a certified Home Energy Rater who evaluates the energy efficiency of a home and assigning it a relative performance score. The lower the number, the more energy efficient the home. The energy efficiency score is based on variables such as exterior walls (both above and below grade), floors over unconditioned spaces, ceilings and roofs, windows and doors, vents and ductwork, HVAC systems, water heating system, and your thermostat, among other elements,” said Baden.
“This being in its first year, the RESNET Cross Border Challenge is a friendly competition between American and Canadian Home Builders to determine just how energy efficient builders can build,” noted Godden. There were a total of six builder awards presented for this year’s competition; four were based on having the lowest HERS score for their specific category, sponsored by Power-Pipe, and two were special President’s awards based on a fleet of HERS new home ratings, sponsored by Icynene.
The awards available were as follows:
1. Lowest HERS score American Production Builder (>50 homes HERS rated per year)
2. Lowest HERS score American Custom Builder (< 50 homes HERS rated per year)
3. Lowest HERS score Canadian Production Builder (> 50 homes HERS rated per year)
4. Lowest HERS score Canadian Custom Builder (< 50 homes HERS rated per year)
5. RESNET President’s Award for the American Production Builder with the highest percentage of homes rated under HERS score 55.
6. CRESNET President’s Award for the Canadian Production Builder with the highest percentage of homes rated under HERS score 55.
The winners for 2014 are:
1. Lowest HERS score American Production Builder is KB Home with a HERS 42
2. Lowest HERS score American Custom Builder is Cobblestone Homes with a HERS 40
3. Lowest HERS score Canadian Production Builder is Brookfield Residential with a HERS 36.
4. Lowest HERS score Canadian Custom Builder is Hunt Homes with a HERS 36
5. RESNET President’s Award – KB Home
6. CRESNET President’s Award – Brookfield Residential
Winners in all Lowest HERS score categories each won a free Power-Pipe Drain Water Heat Recovery System as part of their awards. In addition, winners of the President’s Awards each won an insulation package from Icynene.